Setting Up a Worm Bin
- Purchase a plastic bin approximately 16 x 20 x 8 inches.
- Drill ventilation holes around the perimeter of the bin about 3 inches from the top.
- Prepare bedding for the worms.
- Place one or two handfuls of soil in the bottom of the bin.
- Cut or shred enough newspaper into strips to fill the bin 2/3 full.
- Spritz the newspaper with water until every piece is damp.
- Add about a pound of worms. (vermicomposting supplies)
- Add 1 or 2 inches of dry newspaper bedding on top of the moist bedding.
- Add one pound of food scraps every 5 to 7 days.* Mix the dry bedding (which is now moist) into the other bedding, push aside the bedding to form a pocket large enough to contain the food, deposit the food and recover it with the moist bedding.
- Add 1 to 2 inches of dry newspaper bedding on top of the moist bedding.
*NOTE: Start out with only 1/2 pound of food scraps for the first 2 to 4 weeks while the worms get used to their new home.